Sunday, August 7, 2011

Corn days !

Finally, I am blogging again. It has been a while and I apologize for the long time it took me. Hope no one forgot about me. Several weeks ago I got a call from a friend of mine and she needed me to come and help her out for a week or so. She had fallen and broken her wrist and needed me to take her to day surgery to have pins put in. I, of course could not get there fast enough for her. Surgery went well and she did just fine......She is one tough southern lady !  I had prepared to stay a few extra days to help out, but did not realize just what I was in for. The day of her surgery her daughter-in-law came home from work with 375 ears of corn ! SO, we shucked all that corn starting on a Friday from 6 am till sometimes 11pm and by Sunday at 3pm we had everything cleaned up and in the freezer. Now folks, that is a lot of sweet creamed corn. I had never creamed corn before so, it was a new adventure for me. But, as soon as I took my first bite......I knew it was all worth it....swollen hands and all.


This is from the foyer into the dining room.....lots of corn.

From the dining room into the foyer.......





This is the "tool" for turning whole corn into creamed corn. You poke hole in the top and use the side with the teeth and scaped the cob....wow......not too old to learn. We didn't have to throw not one cob away because it was bad. It ALL was nice sweet pretty corn. Hope we get that lucky next time.



These two are Maggie and Prissy.....they watched us carefully and made sure we did it right. Comic relief for us !  Maggie is a Maine Coon cat that weight 27 lbs  and Prissy is a stray kitten who adoped the family ! All in all, I would not trade any of the time I spent there.....the memories, the things I learned and just being with good folks.....I loved every minute of it. I am sorry I did not get any photos of the finished product, but by that time I was so tired, I didn't even know where my phone was at or cared.....there will be more corn before long....One last bunch.....late corn....we will not be creaming it...it will go into the freezer whole....!  I am looking forward to going back for that experience !

2 comments: